- importance or significance attached to a thing
- emphasis in the form of prominent relative loudness of a syllable or a word as a result of special effortin utterance
- the physical pressure, pull, or other force exerted on one thing by another; strain
- easy to understand, deal with, use
- not elaborate or artificial; plain
- not ornate or luxurious; unadorned
- unaffected; unassuming; modest
- not complicated
I laughed when I realized that all the definitions dictionary.com had for the word "stress" had nothing to do with what I have been feeling all weekend. In a way it was almost comforting. If dictionary.com doesn't list "feeling as if everything is weighing down on your back like a ton of bricks" then maybe I it doesn't exist and therefore I cannot be feeling it!
The other thing I realized is that I was feeling the first kind of stress listed in the definitions and I hadn't even realized it. Most of my physical stress lately has come from the importance and significance I have attached to things/people in my life. As freeing as it would be to let everything go, cut all the strings, let the balloons fly and see where they go, life isn't that simple.
I wish I could say the above 5 definitions described my life, but unfortunately it is the exact opposite.
The moral of the story?
Can we PLEASE bring back opposite day?
That would be grand.