Monday, January 20, 2014

A Foodie's Journey and Baked Egg, Spinach, and Bacon Breakfast

Growing up my Mom always made the most amazing food. She is know throughout our neighborhood for her amazing cookies and deserts. No joke. Because of this I never really bothered to learn myself. I would make cookies now and again if I was feeling the need for some chocolate and she didn't want to make them, but other than that, I was helpless in the kitchen. Like, burn the boiling water helpless. I think my Grandma even gave me a cooking themed birthday package one year. The only thing I ever made from the cookbooks she gave me was an egg omelet that had like 4 ingredients...my mom ended up being the only one to use the supplies. 

Leaving for college and heading straight to the dorms with as many meals as I wanted handed to me at the cafeteria didn't help my situation any. It was hamburgers and fries all day every day. When I was finally at an apartment and on my own for food my sophomore year, I began to realize that I missed my mom's cooking more than ever. Ramen and spaghetti from a can just wasn't cutting it. It wasn't really until last year that I finally started taking the leap into what my little sister calls "fancy food" (in other words, anything that is healthy, slightly gourmet or doesn't look like a dish my mom has made in the past). Once I got started, I couldn't stop! My bloglovin feed was full of foodie blogs and the only reason I went on Pinterest was for recipes (okay, and cat memes). I don't even remember the last time I reused a recipe unless it was to make it for my family when I go home because it was that good. I'm sort of addicted to trying out new dishes and continuing to add supplies to my kitchen cabinets. I now have to not only steer clear of the makeup aisle when I go shopping, but the kitchen supplies as well. It's a bad habit guys. I have 4 different sets of measuring cups.

If you had told my mother when I was 16 that one day I would be making "fancy food" for myself almost every night of the week, she would have laughed in your face! But, sometimes the impossible does happen. So to all of those processed food, take out meal lovers out there who are waiting for someone to give them the courage to bring that pot of water to a boil, I'm here to say DO IT! You won't regret it. And you'll love yourself for all the yummy concoctions you come up with...well, that others come up with and you steal off their blogs or Pinterest :) 

So what fueled this little foodie rant of mine? My friend Tiana was requesting the recipe for a dish I posted on Instagram and Facebook, and I decided I had changed it enough from the original blog I got it from that I could probably just post it here instead of sending her to a different link. I'm hoping this is the first of many food related posts. I have been wanting to jump into the world of food blogging for awhile now and this may be the start of something new and exciting. We'll see what happens :)
Don't you just love my professional Instagram food photography? ;)

Baked Egg, Spinach, and Bacon Breakfast 

INGREDIENTS

1 Tbsp. olive oil or butter
1 small set of green onions, minced
6 oz (a couple of handfuls-I didn't really measure it out) spinach, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
4 pieces of bacon, cooked
4 eggs
1/4 cup Asiago cheese (or Parmesan, or mozzarella - whatever you have in your fridge), grated
4 tsp. milk

DIRECTIONS

1: Preheat oven to 350 F and spray 4 ramekins (I got mine for Christmas-in love! They are so cute!) with cooking spray. Set on a baking sheet. 

2: Cook bacon until crunchy and able to be broken apart. Break apart one piece into the bottom of each ramekin.

3: Drizzle olive oil or butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the green onion and cook for 2-3 minutes until they are soft. Add the chopped spinach and cook until wilted (only took about a minute). Season with salt and pepper. Divide the onion/spinach mixture between the four ramekins on top of the bacon.

4: Crack one egg on top of the mixture in each ramekin. (If you are OCD like me, swish the egg around until it sits in the middle.)

5: Drizzle each egg with 1 tsp milk.

6: Split the asiago cheese between the four ramekins and season each with salt and pepper.

7: Bake for about 20 minutes (more if you like your yoke less runny like me) and enjoy!



These are seriously delicious, healthy, and for being so small, fill you up! Let me know what you think of my little recipe post and hopefully there will be more in the future :)


xoxo
C.R.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment